Skip to main content

AFRICAN HISTORY: SLAVE TRADE.

AFRICAN HISTORY: SLAVE TRADE.


As I looked at this picture about the fate of African slaves on their journey to America, I recalled when I visited a place called Fort Jesus in the Indian Ocean coastal city of Mombasa, Kenya a few years ago.
The castle-like building overlooks the cities old port on the Indian Ocean. It is also the place where East African slaves, after being selected and purchased at the Mombasa main market, were brought to the fort as they awaited to be shipped abroad.


This building and the old town were fought for by the British, the Portuguese and Oman whom each wanted to control the strategic spot.
Observing the accommodation areas for the slaves, I could literally feel their pain and anguish. Theirs were caves that had been fitted with huge, already-made metal doors shipped directly from England. The sign "East Indian Company" and the year of manufacture engraved on them and still visible today. 

I stood their in total silence looking at the wet rugged floor that the naked slaves slept on. The heavy painful shackles that were attached to their hands, necks and feet still lay there. As well as the chains that detained them from moving a metre away from the rough humid wall. All rusty but still there. I could suddenly feel them alive in this place. As if I was standing amongst them. I began to realize that had I lived in those times and in that area, I probably would have faced the same predicament. 


I suddenly felt one tear rolling down my face. I looked around. I was the only black tourist. I wondered what the whites were thinking.
Some looked uncomfortable. Others seemed quite detached from the pain that screamed from these walls. I thought to myself maybe amongst them are people who could do this all over again if they had the chance? I wondered why aren't Africans visiting such places so as to awaken ourselves to a painful reality unilaterally determined by others as our fate. What they made to become our history. And the bitter existence of a black African in the global village.

The picture here is probably the other story of the slaves once they had almost reached their far off destination.
Honoring a people dehumanized and forced to cross the seas as if wild creatures, an underwater sculpture remembering the "African Holocaust" that saw slaves thrown overboard from ships mid-ocean.
This is located off the coast of Grenada. The compelling artwork captures their sad fate, and troubling trauma as they met this tragic end.


 African men and women who were ripped from their continent and history. Sent overseas in a despicably inhuman trade that was planned and executed by people purporting to be superior humans, when actually they were simply lowly European immigrants.

Comments

Native

Popular posts from this blog

RAPE OF IGBO MEN DURING SLAVERY SEASON

RAPE OF IGBO MEN DURING SLAVERY SEASON Did you know that during slavery slave owners would buy slaves to engage in forced sexual acts?  These male slaves were bought entirely on the prerequisite to owning a big penis. Igbo men were also routinely raped by their slave owners as forms of punishment for their insurgency.  The process was known as "breaking the buck or buck breaking." Involves an African Igbo slave who was challenged and then whipped in front of his entire congregation of slaves. Once the slave was worn out the master would have the other Igbo slaves make him walk over the trunk where the pants would be removed and the slave owner would have the slave sodomize in front of his wife , family , friends and kids Slave owner would make sure the slaves wife and children watched front row and center, so they could witness the death and sexual humiliation of her husband and father. Buck Breaking was the slave master's most effective tool to keep all young Igbo black ...

Cartel forces woman to strip n@ked and make a confession before killing her

Cartel forces woman to strip n@ked and make a confession before killing her A woman has been found dead after she was interrogated topless and at gunpoint by Mexican cartel thugs.  Laura Karen Rodríguez Moreno was held up by members of the Santa Rosa de Lima Cartel and forced to confess she was a member of a rival drug cartel and had been working with local police. She was forced to confess to being part of the Jalisco New Generation Cartel (CJNG) and to an alleged relationship between the CJNG and the Municipal Police of Salamanca, Guanajuato. Footage of the interrogation was shared across social media. In the disturbing video, Laura stands in front of a white car at night, topless but wearing shorts. She is flanked by masked men holding large guns, while her interrogator off camera asks her questions. In Spanish, the interrogator asks Laura her name, to which she replies “Laura Karen Rodriguez Moreno”. Her interrogator then asks where Laura lives. “In the...

The Good Man of Nanking

The Good Man of Nanking Taiwan, as known as Republic of China (ROC), the country where I was born and raised, is currently in a difficult situation both internally and internationally due to the complex relations between Taiwan, People’s Republic of China (PRC) and Japan. To understand the formation of the current situation and look for possible solution to the future, it is crucial to know the history between the three countries, especially the past hundred years. Besides, out of my curiosity for my well-respected grandfather, who was previously a general in Republic of China while it still represented the entire China, I want to learn the truth of the second Sino-Japanese war during WWII, which lasted eight years and caused millions of deaths. During the war, the most disputed tragedy was the “Nanking Massacre” and it is still a unresolved dilemma between Chinese and Japanese people as well as the government. From Wikipedia: “Nanking Massacre was an episode of mass murder and...