Skip to main content

Novena Day 29: The Sorrowful Mysteries The End of the World As We Know It

Novena Day 29: The Sorrowful Mysteries
The End of the World As We Know It

I welcome Thanksgiving as a harvest festival and as family together time. In a little bit we will head to my brother’s with pies and squash and prepare for stories and laughter.  But I know for the indigenous peoples of this land this is no day of celebration.



By the time the Pilgrims landed in Plymouth (about fifteen minutes from where I grew up on the coast of Massachusetts) there were already 100 million dead in North and South America. One hundred million dead.

Columbus brought to the “new world” murder, slavery, rape, ecocide, plagues, torture, and genocide on a scale it is almost impossible to imagine. I remember first reading in college the accounts of the Jesuit priest Las Casas who accompanied him. “We killed the men, violated the women, slaughtered the babies, and made them all good Christians,” was repeated throughout the text…and from one place to another.

 I can remember feeling queasy and overwhelmed as I sat in the library. I had signed up for a history class, imagining I’d be a history major, called The Making of the Modern World. And yet, somehow, we never discussed how the modern world was built on a platform of incomprehensible violence.

Nor did we discuss the ecological devastation of conquerors who clubbed entire species into extinction for the sheer thrill of it. Or dammed rivers and disrupted fisheries, felled forests indiscriminately, whose rape and pillage was directed at the earth as well as the indigenous people.

For those people in the new world, the end of the world began in 1492.
Growing up near Plymouth, I knew a lot about the Pilgrims. Or thought I did anyway. As a child I learned that Squanto had welcomed the Europeans and helped them learn how to grow food and they enjoyed a meal together after a year of initial hardship.

 The Indians and the Europeans were friends and soon the Pilgrims were thriving in the colonies.
I did not know that most of Squanto’s people, and most of the indigenous people of Massachusetts, had been wiped out by smallpox, transmitted by European fishermen, in the preceding years before the Pilgrims arrived. Or that Squanto spoke English because he had been enslaved and transported to Europe, only to return and find his people vanished. 

What must have been his heartbreak? As a child I thought the first American peoples were the Pilgrims and they were welcomed by the Indians. No mention was made of the catastrophic destruction initiated a little over a hundred years earlier that continued unabated until the Mayflower’s arrival.  Nor was I told as a child of the ecological devastation, how plants and animals simply vanished in that time as the conquerors clubbed birds and animals to death for the sheer sport of it.

I know. It feels overwhelmingly awful. Can’t we just turn on the football game?
But the rosary gives us courage to bear witness to the truth. It takes us through the sorrows step by step, bead by bead, and we carry the cross with all of life, with all that is, and will be. I can feel joy on one side of me, the joy of a people who still knew how to live in collaboration with the land, and a mysterious glory on the other. And because of that I do not look away.

When I finish this nine days, people throughout the Americas will begin offering up their own novena to Our Lady Guadalupe. She appeared to Juan Diego a hundred years before the Pilgrims arrived. She is Tonantzen the Great Mother of the Aztecs and She is the Virgin Mary and She is the Woman Clothed in the Sun from Revelations. She arrives with a message and a hand extended in the midst of an inconceivably terrible genocide.

 An ongoing genocide. Where does the end of the world begin? Where does it end?
Today I am grateful for Our Lady’s presence in my life that allows me to live with the complexities of both joy and sorrow and with the courage to stand at the foot of the cross.
[PS: I know Our Lady is often offers guidance with which mysteries fall on what days. It did not escape my notice that today, Thanksgiving, we are praying the sorrowful mysteries.]

Contemporary art used to illustrate Los Casas book A Short Account of the Destruction of the Indes. 

Comments

Native

Popular posts from this blog

RAPE OF IGBO MEN DURING SLAVERY SEASON

RAPE OF IGBO MEN DURING SLAVERY SEASON Did you know that during slavery slave owners would buy slaves to engage in forced sexual acts?  These male slaves were bought entirely on the prerequisite to owning a big penis. Igbo men were also routinely raped by their slave owners as forms of punishment for their insurgency.  The process was known as "breaking the buck or buck breaking." Involves an African Igbo slave who was challenged and then whipped in front of his entire congregation of slaves. Once the slave was worn out the master would have the other Igbo slaves make him walk over the trunk where the pants would be removed and the slave owner would have the slave sodomize in front of his wife , family , friends and kids Slave owner would make sure the slaves wife and children watched front row and center, so they could witness the death and sexual humiliation of her husband and father. Buck Breaking was the slave master's most effective tool to keep all young Igbo black ...

Cartel forces woman to strip n@ked and make a confession before killing her

Cartel forces woman to strip n@ked and make a confession before killing her A woman has been found dead after she was interrogated topless and at gunpoint by Mexican cartel thugs.  Laura Karen Rodríguez Moreno was held up by members of the Santa Rosa de Lima Cartel and forced to confess she was a member of a rival drug cartel and had been working with local police. She was forced to confess to being part of the Jalisco New Generation Cartel (CJNG) and to an alleged relationship between the CJNG and the Municipal Police of Salamanca, Guanajuato. Footage of the interrogation was shared across social media. In the disturbing video, Laura stands in front of a white car at night, topless but wearing shorts. She is flanked by masked men holding large guns, while her interrogator off camera asks her questions. In Spanish, the interrogator asks Laura her name, to which she replies “Laura Karen Rodriguez Moreno”. Her interrogator then asks where Laura lives. “In the...

The Good Man of Nanking

The Good Man of Nanking Taiwan, as known as Republic of China (ROC), the country where I was born and raised, is currently in a difficult situation both internally and internationally due to the complex relations between Taiwan, People’s Republic of China (PRC) and Japan. To understand the formation of the current situation and look for possible solution to the future, it is crucial to know the history between the three countries, especially the past hundred years. Besides, out of my curiosity for my well-respected grandfather, who was previously a general in Republic of China while it still represented the entire China, I want to learn the truth of the second Sino-Japanese war during WWII, which lasted eight years and caused millions of deaths. During the war, the most disputed tragedy was the “Nanking Massacre” and it is still a unresolved dilemma between Chinese and Japanese people as well as the government. From Wikipedia: “Nanking Massacre was an episode of mass murder and...